90. “White Boots” – Jamie Grace featuring Morgan Harper-Nichols
Songs in praise of monogamy are de rigueur in CCM, but this one soars on a surprising blend of country and urban styles.
89. “Five Hundred Miles” – Justin Timberlake, Carey Mulligan & Stark Sands
From Inside Llewyn Davis. Here I must part ways with that film’s protagonist, because I find both the song and the performance lovely.
88. “Immigrant Song” – Karen O, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
Blindingly brilliant Zeppelin cover.
87. “Best Day of My Life” – American Authors
Catchy enough to get inside my head on many a morning. It’s probably all the “woah-oh-oh”s.
86. “Wild Ones” – Flo Rida featuring Sia
Flo Rida’s party-rap boilerplate makes me tune out. The song belongs to Sia, and she really is that good.
85. “Monster” – Kanye West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver & Nicki Minaj
This goes without saying, but “First things first, I’ll eat your brains” >>>>> “First things first, I’m the realest.”
84. “Wonderland” – Natalia Kills
Pretty blunt with its analogies, but struts with the best of them.
83. “Blow Me (One Last Kiss)” – P!nk
Even blunter, filled with breakup spite.
82. “From This Valley” – The Civil Wars
A fervent folk song, for climbing out of life’s struggles.
81. “***Flawless” – Beyoncé featuring Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
If you’ve ever been mystified by Beyoncé’s ascension to semi-legendary Amazon/Valkyrie status, look no further.